A pie that combines dripping juicy summer fruit and ice cream is essentially everything you need in a dessert right now–so really, all you need is the excess hours to make dessert (a meal that many cultures deem “unnecessary,” ha). Just because the days are technically “longer” doesn’t mean you actually get more time in them. It just means you have more daylight hours after work to fill with reasons why you’re too busy to go on an extra jog around the neighborhood. Well, that might just be what it means for me… I digress.
Back to pie; seasonal fruit and ice cream are the summer pie dream team. And while a gooey ripe peach pie baked in a delicate flaky pastry crust, and topped with a generous scoop of vanilla while it’s still warm is without-a-doubt dreamy… I ain’t got time for that on a Tuesday. However, what I do have time for is this insanely simple Strawberry Ice Cream Pie.
I invite you to join me on one scattered and stretched lady’s journey for an uncompromisingly satisfying summer sweet. All you have to do is:
- Make this easy-as-pie Pretzel Pie Crust. Now, let it cool off.
- While that crust cools off, pull out a tub of your favorite strawberry ice cream (between us–you can use whatever ice cream flavor you want). Let it soften some.
- Once the crust is cool and the ice cream is soft, scoop about 31/2 cups of ice cream into the crust. Smooth it out with a rubber spatula. Cover it loosely with some plastic wrap, and pop that sucker into the freezer for a few hours (or until firm).*Note: Yes, I realize my whole platform on selling this pie was that we the people are short on time but still want grade-A dessert… and now I’m telling you that this pie is going to take 3 hours before it’s actually ready for eating. But that’s 3 hours of hands-off, go do whatever you need to do in your life time, rather than hours of hands-on, you’re tied to the kitchen if you want this pie to happen time. There’s a big difference.
- Toss together 1 pound of quartered strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar–let that combo macerate for a few minutes. Pull your firm and slice-able pie from the freezer and top it with your juicy berries.
- If you’re feeling frisky, drizzle some chocolate syrup over top. Slice it and serve it up to your family, friends, or whoever you happen to be feeding at the given moment.