Mardi Gras Munchies: Hot Crab Dip

February 28, 2011 | By | Comments (42)

CrabDip

Besides gold, green, and purple beads you’ve got to whip up some tasty Southern treats to celebrate Mardi Gras. The most famous Mardi Gras dishes include King Cake, Cheddar Cheese Straws, Jambalaya, and Red Beans & Rice, but my favorite is Louisiana Hot Crab Dip. Crab is on every menu in New Orleans, utilizing the local blue crab. But you can use any crab available–just make sure it’s free of preservatives. This creamy dip is traditionally served with plain white crackers or toast points. All you need to do is turn up the Zydeco music and start partying!

LOUISIANA HOT CRAB DIP

• 1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, free of shells
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 3 tablespoons minced green onions (white and green parts)
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
  • Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

2. Combine all of the ingredients in a casserole dish and gently stir until thoroughly mixed. Adjust seasoning to taste. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until lightly golden on top. Serve hot.

3. Serve hot, with hot sauce on the side for those who like it spicy.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups

COMMENTS

1. apply for social security

Wow ! Louisiana hot crab dip looks so tasty and amazing. Thanks for sharing Louisiana hot crab dip recipe with us.

April 19, 2011 at 5:45 am
  2. Michael Phillips

Who puts Old Bay in a Louisiana recipe?

August 25, 2012 at 12:43 pm
  3. Donna Stevenson

Yea that gave it away but we are still going to try it with Zatarains!!

August 25, 2012 at 3:36 pm
  4. Renee trimble

Zatarains or Tony Chachere’s

August 25, 2012 at 6:31 pm
  5. cajun girl

Tony’s for sure, never Old Bay. This recipe would cost a small fortune to make, that much jumbo lumb crab would cost 40 bucks!

September 1, 2012 at 6:20 pm
  6. Angel

Just got a pound of jumbo lump crab or $15

September 2, 2012 at 5:12 pm
  7. Friday Favorites <333 « A Beautiful Nest

[...] This Hot Crab Dip recipe [...]

September 7, 2012 at 12:53 pm
  8. Amy

I think I’ll try it with shrimp and add a little crab boil and Tony’s.

September 8, 2012 at 5:26 pm
  9. Kim

Good recipe but way too much mayo. Made it extremely greasy. Second time around– I did 4 tablespoons mayo, 1 tablespoon of Louisiana hot sauce and Tony’s instead of Old Bay & turned out perfect.

September 9, 2012 at 8:20 pm
  10. katrinasworks

I am definitely, going to try this recipe. It looks and sounds wonderful!

September 13, 2012 at 8:41 pm
  11. Steve

I have made this twice..However I used sharp cheddar instead of parmesean and it is fantastic.

September 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm
  12. Trixie

Looks absolutely fantastic!

September 21, 2012 at 5:00 pm
  13. Donielle Hinson

Is old bay and tonys brands of seasonings? What type of seasoning is it? Can’t find it at the grocery.

October 14, 2012 at 7:32 pm
  14. Julie

How much does this make? It’s hard to tell what size casserole dish that is….2 qt?

October 16, 2012 at 10:14 pm
  15. Julie

@ Donielle: I don’t know about Tony’s, but Old Bay is a seasoning you should be able to find in the seafood department

October 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm
  16. Marsha

Agree! NO OLD BAY in AnY NOLA food.. Only Tony’s or Zat’s

October 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm
  17. Andrea (Andy) Roque-Dyrdahl

Andy
    Donielle-Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning, I found some at 99cent only stores in the seasoning dept. also at Von’s/Safeway– Zatarains creole seasoning-check different Grocery stores–if you still can’t find it I will send you one of mine, I can get more at the 99cent only store here in Las Vegas – call me 702-739-7504

October 28, 2012 at 8:56 pm
  18. diane

I am looking for a Cajun crab soup. Anyone have one they are willing to share?

October 31, 2012 at 2:39 am
  19. San

Cut back on some of the crab and add crawfish and a few shrimp. Dump the crackers and add the french bread. Now we’re ready to eat.

November 12, 2012 at 8:46 pm
  20. Sam

Can you make this ahead?

November 17, 2012 at 6:36 pm
  21. Patty

I made this yesterday for game day and everyone loved it! I used Roasted Garlic Triscuits and sliced French Bread cut in half. Delish! Thank you!

November 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm
  22. Deb

If you add shrimp are they cooked or uncooked?

November 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm
  23. stacie

this recipe is amazing I have literally made it 6 times this month on request from friends. We are a southern group who know a great crab dip and this is for sure one. The changes I made are 2 tsps of hot sauce instead of one and 1/8 tsp of creole, 1/8 of black pepper, and 1/8 tsp of greek seasoning and always top it off the last five minutes with a light layer of shredded chedder. Serve with warm Cut up pita bread!

November 28, 2012 at 4:32 am
  24. teedy

Sounds great. Will definitely try. But, i have to agree. NO New Orleans recipe uses Old Bay. Tony’s or Zat’s. And it’s served with French Bread.

December 18, 2012 at 10:50 pm
  25. Missy

I can’t believe only one other reviewer commented on how this recipe has way too much mayo in it. I followed the recipe to the T and it came out greasy and runny. Huge waste of very expensive crabmeat. I’m from MD and I know good crab dip.

December 22, 2012 at 7:45 pm
  26. Renee

Made this recipe lasts night, for the first time, for a party. It was gone in minutes! It was delicious! Will be making it again tomorrow night, for Christmas Eve dinner!

December 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm
  27. Cashew Candy « Kitschy Krista

[...] Egg bake, grandma’s caramel rolls. Appetizers – shrimp cocktail, Mississippi sin dip, hot crab dip, baked brie. Dinner – lasagna, salad, garlic [...]

December 26, 2012 at 2:10 am
  28. lawranch

Actually, Old Bay is most popular in Galveston, TX…which also does a righteous Marti Gras celebration. I grew up on Galveston Bay and used more Old Bay than salt…It was popular BEFORE Tony’s was even offered on the market. Old Bay and Tabasco sauce. Always on the table. We eat LOTS of crab and shrimp straight from the dock trap. So, quit hating on Old Bay already and get a historical clue! Old Bay is BEST with crab!!!

December 28, 2012 at 7:16 pm
  29. Jill

Ditto on above regarding Old Bay! No crab recipe is complete without it!

December 28, 2012 at 8:18 pm
    • Michael Phillips

lawranch, it states underneath the picture that it is a New Orleans recipe. We don’t use Old Bay here.

You seem well-versed on Mardi Gras since there are a whopping 4 parades in Galveston and you spelled Mardi Gras, “Marti Gras”. The only history I need is that Old Bay is made in Maryland!

January 9, 2013 at 6:17 pm
  30. Melissa

Does anyone cut the mayo?

January 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm
  31. Deb

Melissa-I have made it twice now and based on the commenter that said it had too much mayo cut it down both times and it is delicous and not greasy at all. I just add a couple of tablespoons and I always add shrimp as well.

January 9, 2013 at 6:26 pm
  32. Connie Rose

Mayo does not belong in crab dip

January 9, 2013 at 6:26 pm
  33. TanhoMimi

Michael Phillips…..THANK YOU!!!!!! Your comments were dead on. Old Bay is no way the seasoning Zatarains or Tony Chacheres is. No one in New Orleans would EVER use that. Just to give lawranch a history lesson, in New Orleans and southeast Louisiana the cooks are soooooo good that BEFORE Tony’s or Zat’s we just blended the right spices ourselves. That is what cooks do.

Mayo absolutely belongs in crab dip, maybe just no so much. I use half of what is called for and along with the creole seasoning ( Tony’s or Zat’s ) I put in a cap of liquid crab boil.
    I,too, add a little mild cheddar cheese and only serve with french bread rounds. Just before putting on table I sprinkle top with green onion tops. Enjoy.

January 29, 2013 at 2:03 am
  34. Kate

I used a little less mayo and topped it with panko bread crumbs which make it wonderfully crunchy

January 30, 2013 at 1:11 am
  35. Cheryl

Than you all for your comments and tips on this dish. Making it for the Sunday Bash. Luckily we in Denver can find all the seasonings you have mentioned in the grocery store, Tonys, Zatarains and Old Bay, so shouldn’t have a problem finding one that works. Since I can’t find realllly fresh crab I will have to use some inferior crab, but I’m sure it will be good regardless. I’ve made artichoke and crab dip also, which us “Northerner’s” really like as well so I think this dip could be used several ways but want the true Southern one this time. Thanks again everyone!

February 1, 2013 at 8:37 pm
  36. Spring is Coming Early! | Fit 'N' Cookies

[...] recipe can be found here! I used Neufchatel cream cheese instead of regular! I will be sure to report back on how it went [...]

February 3, 2013 at 5:18 pm
  37. warz wallhacks

We absolutely love your blog and find many of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for.
    can you offer guest writers to write content for you?

I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on a number of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome blog!

February 12, 2013 at 6:05 am
  38. Kylie

What hot sauce would you NOLA natives recommend? Putting red hot in this doesn’t seem right… I think I’ll add a little sharp cheddar, cut the mayo down, add some shrimp, thoughts??

February 12, 2013 at 6:27 pm
  39. Catherine Loewe

By the Grace of God, I grew up in the South and use ALL of the aforementioned seasonings. I love Southern food, but arguing over ingredients makes me weary. Prepare this deelish dip however you want ~ it’s awesome!
    Just remember New Orleans is a very special place in our hearts and souls, so using Tony C’s makes it more “authentic”, but wherever you are, use whatever makes you and your happy! Check out some of the history of Cajun and Creole cooking ~ it’ll make you proud AND hungry!
    I truly appreciate all of your suggestions and now have my own fave recipe =)
    BTW, Old Bay was purchased by McCormick & Co, headquartered in Sparks, MD in 1990 and Zatarain’s was bought by same in 2003. I consider MD a “border state”, so I won’t dismiss Old Bay for some dishes.
    However…Chef Tony Chachere started his Creole Foods business in 1972 and his family continues to run the company with humble pride in Opelousas, Louisiana today. I love these kinds of traditions, especially when honest people with a passion care enough to share with all of us.
    As Tony would say “laissez les bon temps roulez” (let the good times roll)! We are all blessed and thankful! <3

September 21, 2013 at 5:27 am
  40. Annual Christmas on the 24th | Knitspiring Odyssey

[…] gobbled up all the strawberries, especially the chocolate-covered ones! 3. I wanted to make a crab dip this year for my dad who was my crab-eating buddy back in the day at home. Whenever my mum steamed […]

January 2, 2014 at 5:09 pm
  41. earthmuther

Reblogged this on earthmuther's Blog.

February 13, 2014 at 7:54 am