Besides gold, green, and purple beads you’ve got to whip up some tasty Southern treats to celebrate Mardi Gras. The most famous Mardi Gras dishes include King Cake, Cheddar Cheese Straws, Jambalaya, and Red Beans & Rice, but my favorite is Louisiana Hot Crab Dip. Crab is on every menu in New Orleans, utilizing the local blue crab. But you can use any crab available–just make sure it’s free of preservatives. This creamy dip is traditionally served with plain white crackers or toast points. All you need to do is turn up the Zydeco music and start partying!
LOUISIANA HOT CRAB DIP
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, free of shells
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions (white and green parts)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a casserole dish and gently stir until thoroughly mixed. Adjust seasoning to taste. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until lightly golden on top. Serve hot.
3. Serve hot, with hot sauce on the side for those who like it spicy.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups