Are Our Kids Getting Fatter?

March 3, 2010 | By | Comments (6)

Childhood obesity seems to be a hot topic these days; President Obama has created the first-ever federal taskforce to address the problem and also plans to reauthorize and increase the budget for the Child Nutrition Act.  First Lady Michelle Obama has also been vocal about the problem and has been making the rounds to all of the big-time media outlets to endorse the national "Let's Move" Campaign.

We even have the famous (and totally adorable) British chef Jamie Oliver hopping across The Pond to help Americans with their serious over-eating.  In the premier of his new show "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution", which airs on ABC on March 26th, Oliver heads to Huntington, West Virginia (named the unhealthiest city in America) to begin the grueling and seemingly hopeless task of changing the community's perception and appreciation of food.

Will he be successful?  (You'll have to tune in to find out!)  We can only hope.  But I think the real question here is - how have we let our children become so unhealthy?  How have we let 1 out of every 3 American children become overweight or obese?  And, if children learn by watching and mimicking, then isn't the older generation to blame?

In your household, how do you balance what your children want to eat with what your children should eat?

Are you running out of kid-friendly dinner ideas?  Check out MyRecipe's Kid Approved page!

Check out these healthy dinner ideas from MyRecipes:

Sneak In Extra Veggies

10 Healthy Foods for Picky Eaters

Healthy Family Meals

COMMENTS

1. Carolyn

Lisa, good post. I didn’t realize that the British chef was adorable. He almost reminded me of Chef Ramsey from Hell’s Kitchen. However, I’m not sure that the older generation is completely at fault. In fact, I think my own generation (or even just my own lack of will power) is to blame for my obsession with food. You may not say that I’m obese by any means, but my habits can be far from healthy, and it’s all from that rollercoaster college life and general affinity for great tasting treats!
    Anyway, I rambled, and all I really wanted to say is good job and let’s hope that politics can help our country’s nutrition.

March 3, 2010 at 7:23 am
  2. Soo

Lisa – You are so right. It is one of my own personal soap boxes. Too little exercise, too little home cooking and too many processed foods. The really frightening thing is that this obesity will lead to an epidemic of diabetis, which is becoming so common that it is forgotten that it is a deadly disease. Keep reminding everyone!!

March 3, 2010 at 7:41 am
  3. Joanie

Lisa-increased awareness of the foods our children are eating is very important. The more I read about the health risks associated with obesity, the more aware I become about the meals I am preparing. Leaning more towards fruits, vegess, and lean meats such and chicken and turkey, my kids have begun to enjoy a healthier diet. I think its important to educate your children as well, and make them aware of the risk factors and the importance of making good food choices combined with regular excercise. Thanks for the great article and the links to go with it! I plan to prepare some of the recipes listed!!!
    Joanie

March 3, 2010 at 9:35 am
  4. Sallee

Great post Lisa! It is definitely a very thought provoking fact that the younger generation is getting more unhealthy in general. Unfortunately in this day of instant gratification, kids don’t want to wait for dinner to be cooked, they want to ‘eat now’ and that usually means fast food take-out or snacks, and with a lot of households where both parents work, that is the easy solution. It does take a lot of hard work and effort to change these habits but of course it can be done, and hopefully when health is at risk, more parents will become aware of the dangers of these bad eating habits. Keep up the great work Lisa, I love reading your posts :)

March 4, 2010 at 6:10 am
  5. Rick

Lisa, Yeah, I think the older generation is a bit to blame but I don’t think they forsaw the onslaught of video games and lack of exercise that came with those games.. The new programs by the Obama’s and your “adorabe chef” are just what is needed to continue to promote good health… Keep us informed…
    Rick

March 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm
  6. aicha

i think that you can not blame it on the kids or their parents will there is a part witch could be blamed on the parents but i think the people that we should blame is the industry we have fast food shops in every corner, fast food and unhealthy food are much more cheaper then healthy food .

March 11, 2010 at 11:22 am