In honor of the release of 2016’s take on the cult-classic, Ghostbusters (hitting theaters July 15th), Hi-C has come forth with a limited supply of the almost equally popular ECTO-COOLER. When the sweet orange-tangerine punch product–released in conjunction with the original Ghostbusters franchise–originally stoked cultural fervor in 1987, it amassed a quick and loyal following that was left devastated when the product disappeared from shelves.
But the glowing green juice in its slime slathered cans and boxes is back in full ghostly glory, but only for a brief moment. You can (supposedly) find the stuff in select grocery stores, at the concession stands of select theaters, and online. As you can imagine, the re-release has inspired something of an uproar among fans and there seems to be a lot of “out of stock” action going on. But no worries, I’m sure you’ll be able to find plenty of Ecto on Ebay in the coming months…
That said, we did manage to get a case of the stuff and did what any good teenager of the late 80’s would do–we mixed booze with our juice boxes. After all, this is cause for a celebration. Now, there are 2 routes you can take with our custom, Ecto-Cooler cocktail below:
-For an authentic flashback to high school experience, mix this puppy up with a lower-grade vodka and don’t chill any of your other liquids. Because nothing tastes more like youth than a like warm commercial punch and rubbing alcohol blend.
-For a beverage that’s acceptable to your now (undoubtedly) vastly more mature palate, follow the recipe as instructed, using a higher-quality vodka (I love Tito’s, especially for the price point).
Ecto Slime Sparkler
1 Ecto Ice Orb*
2 oz. Ecto-Cooler, chilled
2 oz. vodka
11/2 oz. club soda, chilled
- Place ice cube in a chilled rocks glass. Add Cooler and vodka to glass; stir gently to combine. Slowly pour club soda into glass. Serve immediately.
SERVES 1 (serving size: 1 cocktail)
*To make Ecto ice orbs, fill large sphere-shaped ice molds (such as Trudeau brand) with a 3:1 ratio of Ecto Cooler to vodka; freeze until solid. Alternatively, you can use standard ice molds.
Now that you have a cold neon-glowing drink in hand–it’s time to really get the party started. And you can’t exactly have a complete Ghostbusters celebration without some proper slime, can you?
So here you go, grab a refill of Ecto Slime Spritzer and whip up some ghostly goo. I personally wouldn’t recommend that you eat this… but I guess it does double as a highly effective fiber supplement if you feel like you’re lacking.
How to Make SLIME
- Combine 1 cup water and 1 to 2 tablespoons dietary fiber supplement containing psyllium (such as Metamucil) in a large mixing bowl. Use 1 tablespoon fiber supplement for a thinner slime and 2 tablespoons for a thicker slime.
- Add 1 (0.13-oz.) package of green- or pink-colored Kool-Aid per 1 tablespoon of fiber supplement used to bowl. Stir until dissolved.
- Microwave mixture on HIGH for 3 minutes. Remove bowl from microwave and stir.
- Microwave for an additional 1 minute.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and allow it to cool; mixture will thicken as it cools.
*Make sure center of slime mixture is cool before allowing children to handle.