While keeping up with your New Years resolution of a healthier and happier you, don’t overlook nutrition. After hitting the gym, think carefully about what will benefit your workout the most. For post-workouts, replenish your body with needed proteins, electrolytes, and complex carbs for muscle growth and also added energy stores – see, not all carbs are bad.
Our 10 recommended foods to eat post-workout for optimal muscle recovery:
- Greek Shrimp with White Beans, Tomato Sauce, and Feta: Healthy proteins pack a punch in this Greek-inspired bowl. After working those muscles, let this power house seafood bowl do the heavy lifting – get your daily dose of proteins, amino acids, fiber, complex carbs, and vitamin D and B12.
- Classic Pad Thai: The level of protein and other important nutrients in this dish, such as vitamin B, are essential to post workout recovery. Also, the rice noodle adds vital carbohydrates to refuel your glycogen – fast.
Video: How to Make Classic Pad Thai
- Spinach-and-Cheese Omelet: Eggs are a rich source of protein; they offer natural dietary supplements to repair broken down muscle tissue. So, skip the protein powder and cook up an omelet with spinach for maximum muscle repair and growth.
- Baked Pita Chip: Dip these baked bites into a hearty bowl of hummus. Packed full protein and carbs, these make a great heart-healthy snack in between meals. Note: Eating a quick snack following your workout is crucial to aiding those tired muscles.
Video: How to Make Baked Pita Chips
- Baked Oatmeal: It’s essential to get that carb to protein ratio following a major calorie burn. Topped with fresh fruit, these baked oat bars allow for quick, on-the-go, fuel up.
- Tuna Salad with whole wheat crackers: Tuna, another healthy snack following your heart pumping workout, is a great go-to! It’s low in fat and high in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, which boasts huge health benefits – like lowering the risk of heart disease. Looking for a lighter salad? Ditch the mayo and substitute with mustard.
Video: How to Make Simple Tuna Salad
- Workout Recovery veggie shake: Comprised of 3 superfoods, this citrus, after-workout drink will shake up your potassium, protein, fiber, iron, complex carbs, and Vitamin C all in one glass. That’s a win!
- Colorful Quick Quinoa Grecian Salad: Quinoa, the superfood of grains, balances the colorful, fresh veggies and herbs in this high performance salad. Nutritionally sound, this dish is perfect after a long run. So, ditch the brown rice.
Video: How to Make Colorful Quick Quinoa Grecian Salad
- Peanut Butter Berry: Peanut butter fixes everything, right? Even those muscle aches following a hard workout! A spoonful of this honey-sweetened peanut butter after pumping iron is convenient, nutritious, and undeniably delicious.
- Turkey Club Sandwich with Herb Mayonnaise: During that workout, it’s likely that your sodium levels dropped. To recharge those electrolytes, eat lean meats such as turkey. Turkey offers protein as well as boosting the normal functions of muscles and nerves.
Video: Sandwich School: Turkey Club Sandwiches with Herb Mayo