Irresistible Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

January 26, 2011 | By | Comments (9)

IMG_2020
My family and I visit my dad's parents once a week, and part of our ritual is to bake cookies beforehand to give them something sweet to nibble on during the week.

We usually buy the ready made cookies, but this week I decided to dig into my grandmother's recipe box and find a homemade version.

And boy did it pay off! These are super-moist and rich with spices and plump raisins.

I think there are two ingredients that make the difference in these cookies. You will cook the raisins in water for 20 minutes to plump them up, and also add some of the cooking liquid to the batter.

IMG_2023

I baked one sheet for 15 minutes (the original cooking time; on left in the picture) and they still turned out moist. However, my family likes chewy and/or very moist cookies, so I cut the time to 12 minutes on the last two batches (on right in the picture) which makes almost a cake-like cookie.

But however long you cook these, I guarantee they'll disappear in just a few days so enjoy them while you can.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies — Makes about 60 cookies

1 1/2 cups cooked raisins

1 1/2 cups water

6 Tbs raisin water

1 cup unsalted butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

2 eggs, beaten

2 cups flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

2 cups oats (I use Quaker quick oats)

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

IMG_1999

2. In a small pan, add the raisins and water. Cook on med-high heat for about 20 minutes until raisins are plump. Drain the raisins and reserve 6 tablespoons of water; because it will be hot, you can cool in in the freezer for 15 minutes or so.

IMG_2005
3. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer. Add eggs, vanilla, and raisin water and mix well.

IMG_2012
4. In another bowl, mix flour, soda, salt, and spices. Add to wet mixture and mix well.

IMG_2016
5. Fold in oats and raisins. You may need to use a spoon at this point.

IMG_2018
6. If dough is too soft, cool in the freezer for 10 minutes. Form dough
into golf ball-sized balls and place onto a lightly greased baking sheet about 1/2 an inch apart.

IMG_2019
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Let cool completely before moving to an air-tight container.

COMMENTS

1. Brenda

This recipe does not show you using any sugar. Do you use sugar?

January 27, 2011 at 10:57 am
  2. Brianne Britzius

Hi Brenda,
    You use one cup of white sugar (6th ingredient on the list) but no brown sugar. Hope that helps!

January 27, 2011 at 11:28 am
  3. Claire

That’s too much suger, try 1/2 to 3/4 cup. You can always cut back on suger. And I always use half 100% whole wheat flour in my cookies. Doesn’t seem to make much difference and it’s better for you.

January 27, 2011 at 1:13 pm
  4. MaryAnne

I am going to add 1/8 cup bourbon to 1 1/4 cup water to cook raisins. The sugar I am going to change to 1/4 brown sugar and 1/2 white sugar….there abouts…will have to play with that. Adding flake coconut and nuts would be interesting also.

January 27, 2011 at 1:38 pm
  5. Jim

Claire, When you made this recipe with your amount of sugar, how did it turn out? I really would not personnally judge another recipe until I made theirs their way then made changes and tested the results. The flour you suggested would make a difference. And as for being “better for you”, any desert is designed to be a bit of a splurge after a meal. Who needs “healthy” deserts? Have another drink.

January 27, 2011 at 1:53 pm
  6. Joan Lowder

100 calories snacks email brought me here but I don’t see the calories for this cookie. I see that folks are adjusting it so guess you have to figure the calories based on what you use? I’m looking for some easy things for breakfast, like a good muffin, or oatmeal cookie? Using my FitBit and trying to watch what I’m eating.

January 28, 2011 at 6:02 am
  7. Brianne Britzius

Hi Joan,
    I think you’re referring to yesterday’s newsletter? The feature of that was 100 calorie snacks, but the links below are simply homepage features that don’t necessarily have any relation to the main feature. Hope that clears things up!

January 28, 2011 at 8:53 am
  8. Vickie Black

We need all nutritional info on your recipes. I have to type in all the ingredients on another website to get the info. Most sights show this. Please add it to your submissions. Thanks

February 3, 2011 at 8:41 am
  9. Vickie Black

Try substituting half Stevia and half Splenda in place of the sugar and unsweetened applesause for the oil or butter. Works very well and reduces calories and carbs.

February 3, 2011 at 8:43 am