Classic Kitchen Utensils

September 21, 2010 | By | Comments (8)

Recently I inherited some old kitchen utensils that belonged to my husband's grandmother. As I sorted through the bag of odds and ends, I tried only to keep what I really needed. After all, my utensil drawer is already bulging.  I passed on the little tin citrus juicer.  It was identical to the one I'd gotten at a thrift store recently for 50 cents.

Juicer

I almost didn't take the egg beater.  I've got 3 whisks already, plus a hand mixer and a KitchenAid. But I couldn't resist turning the handle. And then I was hooked. This little gem is heavy and solid and whirrs –no, purrs — when you turn it. They knew how to make things 50 years ago, no doubt about it.

Eggbeater (1)

This morning I pulled it out to whisk up our breakfast eggs and was amazed at just how well it did its task.  The eggs were perfectly whipped in half the time a regular whisk would require.  And yet it is barely any harder to wash than a whisk.  I love it.

And this item below?  Well, it is a mystery to me– I kept it just for curiosity's sake.   Was it was designed to cut pasta?  Or maybe to crimp the edge of a pie crust?

Eggbeater

I'm hoping that someone will clue me in– anybody know what it does?

What about you?  Have any vintage kitchen items that you love?

COMMENTS

1. Adelle

knife sharpener

September 21, 2010 at 6:04 pm
  2. Ali BG

Yup! It’s a knife sharpener! :)

September 21, 2010 at 6:06 pm
  3. kelli@living in grace

Would love to see it in action now that you know what it is!

September 21, 2010 at 6:12 pm
  4. Karen

The last item is the best knife sharpener ever! I wish they still sold those. You just draw your non-serrated knife thru across between the 2 sets of wheels.

September 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm
  5. Cindy

Mary, I have one of those egg beaters and I just love it. And yes, that’s a knife sharpener.

September 21, 2010 at 7:47 pm
  6. Cindy

I’ve used mine for making meringue.

September 21, 2010 at 7:48 pm
  7. cb

knife sharpener

September 22, 2010 at 9:03 am
  8. Debbie

I Love old kitchen gadgets. I have 3 vintage old hand mixers that I display in my kitchen. I wish I had gotten one from my Grandma but her colletion was gone by the time I had courage to ask for one after she passed. I also have an old sunbeam stand mixer that still works and has the original owners manual displayed in my kitchen. The stand mixer came from my husbands mother after she passed. Thesk kinds of things make me happy :)

October 6, 2010 at 11:14 am