The Great Baby Food Debate

March 12, 2010 | By | Comments (12)

Our little fella turns 6 months old this weekend, and at his checkup this week, the pediatrician gave me the green light to give Parker just about any food he wants (except honey) in the next 6 months.

Parker

Up until now, we've been trying jars of organic baby food to see what he's interested in (among favorites are apples and carrots). But I must admit, the idea of making baby food has crossed my mind. And just like every other baby topic, there are THOUSANDS of products, sites, and blogs dedicated to it. It's SO overwhelming!

Baby-food-youngmuslimmother[1](photo c/o youngmuslimmother.com)

With just a little research, I came across some products from Williams-Sonoma that looked interesting…

Img4m[1]

Img97m[1]

(top, Beaba Freezer Tray; bottom, Beaba Babycook Baby Food Maker)

But moms out there, I need your help! Do you make your baby food? Or do you go with jars? I would LOVE to get your advice on the best recipes, products, and storage solutions! Thanks in advance, and stayed tuned for more updates on the great baby food adventure.

COMMENTS

1. Erin

I used the jars for the most part. They were super easy, and his daycare used the same thing.
    I did let him taste everything we ate, of course skipping nuts and honey. He had mashed veggies and fruits, sucked a bit on some meats. I figured if he would try it, I would let him.
    I now have a 19-month old who loves onions (raw too!), zuchini, pad thai, Greek Spaghetti and most fish. He’ll try anything a few times. He won’t necessarily eat it, but at least he tries it. His favorite things are carrot matchsticks, all noodles and anything he can hold by himself, like pickles and ice cream sandwiches.
    Good luck! My goal is to raise a Foodie, maybe even a chef.

March 12, 2010 at 8:53 am
  2. candice

I highly recommend making your own baby food but don’t fall for the appeal of such expensive gadgets. Use you home vegetable steamer or buy one frm amazon for around $30 then puree with your blender. I would make a huge batch once a month and freeze then get out what I needed the night before. Also the small glad tuperware that hold salad dressing is perfect portion size and freezes well. Good luck

March 12, 2010 at 10:40 am
  3. Johanna

I have the system that William Sonoma sells and it is great[the cookbook is too; it grows with your child]. I highly recommend cooking for your child. If you eat fresh food why would you not want your child to learn to eat fresh food too? It is much more tastey!

March 12, 2010 at 11:20 am
  4. Christie T.

Here’s a great blog by Dani Spies you might want to check out. Shes’ a young nutritionist with a new baby too! Hope you like it! :) Christie

March 12, 2010 at 2:35 pm
  5. EFM

I made my own baby food for my first child and now that my daughter is 6 months old I plan on doing the same. This website is great for recipes http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com and I bought small baby food containers on http://www.onestepahead.com. They don’t have the ones I purchased anymore, but they carry a different version. Good luck and have fun!

March 12, 2010 at 9:11 pm
  6. Michelle

I didn’t make my baby food I used jars from 6 months until she was 9 months bythen all she wanted was what I was hving. So my pediatrition told me just to use a food processor and chop her food into small bites. She loves the varrity and it is much easier to give to her. She is 10 and a half months now still with no teeth and is one of the most adventurist eater at her age I know. The only no no’s are honey peanut butter and egg whites.

March 13, 2010 at 8:38 am
  7. kristin

These are all wonderful suggestions, but in the first 6 months-if you’re able-your baby should be consuming nothing other then mother’s milk.

March 13, 2010 at 8:47 am
  8. Jessica

We make our baby food with that processor. we just puree anything we have for dinner and she loves it! i love that I know exactly what she’s eating!

March 13, 2010 at 9:33 pm
  9. Emily

I would steam veggies then puree them in the blender. Then you just pour the puree into ice cube trays. Each cube is approximately 1 oz, so you know how much your child is eating! After they’re frozen, just pop the cube out and store in ziploc until you’re ready to defrost. Our favorites were green beans, peas, mixed veggies, pumpkin puree, corn, and butternut squash.

March 14, 2010 at 12:02 pm
  10. Dawn R. Williams

Thank you all for the FABULOUS suggestions! I’ll let you know how the baby food adventures are going!

March 15, 2010 at 7:28 am
  11. Kelly

I used jarred baby food for a while, but my son wanted what we were having. I bought an inexpensive ricer and used my mini food chopper to make his food from our dinner. The jarred meats were the worst so I would use the ricer on small pieces of meat (chicken, turkey and beef). You just need to add a small amount of water. My sons are now 12 and 7 and are foodies. People are amazed at the things they eat and are willing to try!

March 18, 2010 at 12:39 pm
  12. Sharon

My children, now 34 and 30 respectively, ate what we ate. I’d put it in the blender with a little of their formula to soften it, and never had a jar of “baby food” in my house at all. To this day they both still prefer my homemade applesauce to anything they can buy! I rarely fried anything then or now, so they view fried foods as “a treat” and are raising their children the same way. Every one of my 5 grandchildren are healthy, well within weight guidelines, silky hair, clear eyes and skin, so there is some truth in the old adage, “Do It Yourself”. Better yet if you have time and room enough to grow a few of their fruits and vegetables, limit meat, and make some of your breads from scratch so you can watch the chemicals.
    Yes, all of this does take time, but it was important to me, so I put my family first and have never regretted it.
    Now I’m retired, and all of the g. kids except the baby putter around in the garden with me, and this summer we will eat what we grew! (You can get anything down a child, if he helped grow it!)
    Good luck!! Happy Parenting!!

March 25, 2010 at 5:06 pm