This stir fry is a beautiful as it is delicious. You can choose veggies according to your family's preferences. Just remember to stir-fry the dense or strong-flavored veggies like onions and carrots first, adding more delicate veggies (peppers, mushrooms, bean sprouts) close to the end of the cooking time so that they will stay crisp-tender.
Preparation Time: 40-50 minutes
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 cup fresh broccoli florets in bite sized pieces
3 sweet peppers (various colors), thinly sliced
1 cup slivered green cabbage
2 tablespoons sesame oil (or regular oil)
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Toast sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat for a few minute, stirring frequently, until seeds turn medium brown. Set aside.
2. Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes. Mix marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Add chicken. Stir to coat evenly, and let marinate for 10 minutes.
3. Combine sauce ingredients in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently until sugar and cornstarch have dissolved. Cover and remove from heat.
4. Lay coated chicken cubes on a greased broiler rack that is set over a drip pan. Broil in oven 4-6 inches away from the element for 5-8 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and top of chicken has some nicely browned bits. Remove from oven and toss with sauce. Cover and set aside.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil to a large heavy skillet set on high heat. When oil starts to shimmer with heat, add onion and carrots. Stirfry 2-3 minutes without stirring, or until veggies get some nice brown bits. Add broccoli florets.Stir and cook for another couple minutes to continue browning. Add sliced peppers and cabbage and cook for about 5 more minutes, until veggies are crisp tender, stirring a couple times.
6. When veggies are cooked, add chicken and sauce into the veggie mixture. Cook a few more minutes, until veggies are well coated with sauce and all ingredients are hot. Top with browned sesame seeds. Serve over rice.