The Case of the Mysterious Corn-and-Bean Salad

September 25, 2009 | By | Comments (9)

Bean-salad-sl-257591-l

HELP!!

While visiting with family last week I had the most delicious corn-and-bean salad I've ever tasted. After just one bite, I was hooked. I couldn't help but cut my way back into line again for seconds (and thirds, maybe?). The following day, I was even caught sneaking spoonfuls of the leftovers…more than once. Oops.

Now, as head-over-heels as I was about this tasty side dish, I can't believe I left without getting the recipe! What was I thinking??

I've been searching online all week for it, but I just can't seem to find an exact replica of the recipe.

Here's what I'm pretty sure I was tasting:

-canned black beans
-canned corn kernels
-canned kidney beans
-diced scallions
-(maybe) some diced onions
-and some delicious dressing/marinade that slightly resembled Italian dressing

And here are the imposters I've come across so far:

-Cooking Light's All-Purpose Southwestern Corn and Black Bean Salad. Mmm this recipe includes lime juice and honey in the dressing, and it offers great suggestions for turning it into a main-dish salad or a dip!

-RealSimple's Three Bean Salad. This one actually looks pretty similar, and I like the addition of chickpeas!

-All You's Corn and Black Bean Salad. This recipe's really close too! I could just switch the roasted red peppers out for kidney beans. Maybe their cider vinegar is the secret ingredient I'm missing!

-Southern Living's Black Bean Salad. This picture looks almost identical! Just hold the jalapeños and tomatoes, and add in the kidney beans. I like the fresh corn!

Anyone have any leads for me, or maybe a favorite recipe of your own that I might love just as much?

COMMENTS

1. dan

Our family likes a variation on this theme with this ingredient list: (canned) black beans, corn, and black-eyed peas, with diced peppers (hot or mild), tomatoes, green onions (could use another onion) and avocado. The dressing has oil, lime juice, a tablespoon or two of vinegar (we like balsamic), with powdered cumin and coriander, a little chili powder, red pepper if you like, and salt/black pepper to taste. I don’t know that we’ve ever made it exactly the same way twice, but the key for us is to let it sit for a couple hours to blend flavors before adding the avocado and tomato. And we usually serve it as a dip with tortilla chips.

October 1, 2009 at 11:13 am
  2. Carrie

Mmmm avocado! Always a great addition! Thanks, Dan!

October 2, 2009 at 9:47 am
  3. Jacob Dougan

That salad sounds really good. I like to do one with frozen peas, red onion, cubed cheese, bacon bits and mayo. It is very good on a warm summer day and very easy to make.

October 7, 2009 at 11:27 am
  4. Jacob Dougan

I’m not a huge fan of avacodo’s but chopped up small I can ignore them.

October 7, 2009 at 11:30 am
  5. atkins diat

Hi…
    Thank you for sharing such a nice recipe. I would love this item. I am giving a party to my friends this weekend at my farmhouse. I was wondering about some new item to treat my friends with. I will surely try this and let you know.

October 10, 2009 at 3:49 am
  6. Mike

Here’s one from Allrecipes that I’ve found intriguing: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bean-Relish/Detail.aspx
    Obviously missing the corn and black beans and a huge quantity to boot, but it might further the search.

October 12, 2009 at 7:45 am
  7. borderline syndrom

Hi…

October 15, 2009 at 3:04 am
  8. Marcy

I may have the recipe, because I’ve had the same experience. I can’t stop eating this stuff.
    2 cans black beans rinsed and drained.
    1 can mexicorn drained
    1 medium tomatoe chopped
    1 medium avocado, cubed
    1/2 cup chopped onion (i prefer red)
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce.
    enjoy.