The Case of the Mysterious Corn-and-Bean Salad

September 25, 2009 | By | Comments (9)

Bean-salad-sl-257591-l

HELP!!

While visiting with family last week I had the most delicious corn-and-bean salad I've ever tasted. After just one bite, I was hooked. I couldn't help but cut my way back into line again for seconds (and thirds, maybe?). The following day, I was even caught sneaking spoonfuls of the leftovers…more than once. Oops.

Now, as head-over-heels as I was about this tasty side dish, I can't believe I left without getting the recipe! What was I thinking??

I've been searching online all week for it, but I just can't seem to find an exact replica of the recipe.

Here's what I'm pretty sure I was tasting:

-canned black beans
-canned corn kernels
-canned kidney beans
-diced scallions
-(maybe) some diced onions
-and some delicious dressing/marinade that slightly resembled Italian dressing

And here are the imposters I've come across so far:

Cooking Light's All-Purpose Southwestern Corn and Black Bean Salad. Mmm this recipe includes lime juice and honey in the dressing, and it offers great suggestions for turning it into a main-dish salad or a dip!

RealSimple's Three Bean Salad. This one actually looks pretty similar, and I like the addition of chickpeas!

All You's Corn and Black Bean Salad. This recipe's really close too! I could just switch the roasted red peppers out for kidney beans. Maybe their cider vinegar is the secret ingredient I'm missing!

Southern Living's Black Bean Salad. This picture looks almost identical! Just hold the jalape├▒os and tomatoes, and add in the kidney beans. I like the fresh corn!

Anyone have any leads for me, or maybe a favorite recipe of your own that I might love just as much?

COMMENTS

1. dan

Our family likes a variation on this theme with this ingredient list: (canned) black beans, corn, and black-eyed peas, with diced peppers (hot or mild), tomatoes, green onions (could use another onion) and avocado. The dressing has oil, lime juice, a tablespoon or two of vinegar (we like balsamic), with powdered cumin and coriander, a little chili powder, red pepper if you like, and salt/black pepper to taste. I don’t know that we’ve ever made it exactly the same way twice, but the key for us is to let it sit for a couple hours to blend flavors before adding the avocado and tomato. And we usually serve it as a dip with tortilla chips.

October 1, 2009 at 11:13 am
  2. Carrie

Mmmm avocado! Always a great addition! Thanks, Dan!

October 2, 2009 at 9:47 am
  3. Jacob Dougan

That salad sounds really good. I like to do one with frozen peas, red onion, cubed cheese, bacon bits and mayo. It is very good on a warm summer day and very easy to make.

October 7, 2009 at 11:27 am
  4. Jacob Dougan

I’m not a huge fan of avacodo’s but chopped up small I can ignore them.

October 7, 2009 at 11:30 am
  5. atkins diat

Hi…
    Thank you for sharing such a nice recipe. I would love this item. I am giving a party to my friends this weekend at my farmhouse. I was wondering about some new item to treat my friends with. I will surely try this and let you know.

October 10, 2009 at 3:49 am
  6. Mike

Here’s one from Allrecipes that I’ve found intriguing: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bean-Relish/Detail.aspx
    Obviously missing the corn and black beans and a huge quantity to boot, but it might further the search.

October 12, 2009 at 7:45 am
  7. borderline syndrom

Hi…

October 15, 2009 at 3:04 am
  8. Marcy

I may have the recipe, because I’ve had the same experience. I can’t stop eating this stuff.
    2 cans black beans rinsed and drained.
    1 can mexicorn drained
    1 medium tomatoe chopped
    1 medium avocado, cubed
    1/2 cup chopped onion (i prefer red)
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce.
    enjoy.