How to Make Chocolate Gravy

August 14, 2009 | By | Comments (7)

Hold onto your hats, dear readers.  I’m about to take you on the sweetest journey you can imagine.  Every weekend morning, I struggle with the greatest question in my existence: Salty or Sweet for breakfast?  Do I want bacon and eggs or pancakesFrench toast or a sausage biscuit?  What? You feel the same way?  Well I’m here to tell you that you don’t have to struggle anymore.  Introducing… Chocolate Gravy.Chocolate-gravy-mr

I came across Chocolate Gravy in the best way.  Growing up, my best friend’s Grandma (the famous Muna of the Muna Chocolate Chip Cookies) would wake us up with the rich, delicious smell of chocolate gravy simmering on the stove.

Chocolate gravy is exactly what it sounds like, thick chocolate sauce that’s made for drizzling over (you guessed it) salty, homemade buttermilk biscuits.  I made it for the first time last night and introduced my husband to it.  The verdict?  He’s never leaving me.

With special thanks to Muna, and by great request, I’m now sharing her classic recipe.  It made my childhood bright and (shhhh) it’s pretty much thickened chocolate milk.  Make a batch this weekend to top pancakes, drizzle over waffles, or pour over a piping hot biscuit.  You won’t be sorry!

Muna’s Chocolate Gravy

1/2 cup flour (I used all-purpose)

1 cup sugar

2 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups milk (I used skim, though I’m sure Muna fed us the good stuff!)

1/2 cup water

4 tablespoons butter, if desired (I left them out)

Combine dry ingredients with water and mix until smooth.  Add milk and cook in a saucepan until thickened, stirring constantly.  Add butter and vanilla.  Stir until very smooth and butter is melted. Serve over toast or hot biscuits.

Make it this weekend and tell us what you think.  I’ll pass your thoughts onto Muna!

COMMENTS

1. Mallory

Oh wow that sounds delicious! Biscuits & chocolate gravy sound like the perfect mix of salty/sweet for breakfast – or anytime really :) I’m definitely going to have to try that out soon!

August 14, 2009 at 10:56 am
  2. Pat

We had a biscuit breakfast at my workplace one Saturday when we were working overtime. Each person brought some biscuits and their favorite topping or gravy. One lady brought chocolate gravy, and it was delightful with home made biscuits.

August 16, 2009 at 7:27 pm
  3. Alice

Aaaah, Chocolate Gravy! I learned of this scrumptious recipe about 22 years ago while living in Booneville MS. A town that will make you think you’ve moved out of the state of MS. The people there are different…nice, but different. Anyway, in the 22 or so years that I’ve been living back home in L’ville MS there’s Very Few people here that have ever heard of it. Even cooks that have been cooking 80+yrs!! I don’t cook it often, But, WhEn I doooo…..OMGosh I eat way too much! Just can’t help myself it’s soooooo goooood! :)
    This recipe is a little different from mine but I’d like to try this one. Mine has a lot less ingredients: 2 cups sugar; 1 cup flour; 2 tbls. cocoa powder; hot water – enough that it’s not too thick or too thin. Cook over low heat until thick. (Ingred. can be cut in half) It takes a little practice to get this recipe to your liking, sweeter, thicker, etc. etc.
    Can’t wait to try Muna’s!

August 23, 2009 at 4:00 pm
  4. dennis

I was raised on chocolate gravy. Grandmother spoiled me until I was three years old. This was during WWII. She had prepared it for years before in eastern Arkansas. So the family tradition goes way back. My Mother cooked it for my brothers and I as we grew up. In 1959 we had to transfer to France. While there, we learned that Chocolate Gravy was French and not an Arkansas cusine. Surprise, surprise, we red-necks had some culture at last. Mother told me the easiest way to remember C. G. mix, was to use equal parts of dry ingredients and vary it to suit your taste. Heat milk and butter together, about a cup of milk and tablespoon of butter. Add the dry ingredients. If it is too thin, add a little more flour. A little Vanilla helps. Put the gravy on home-made biscuits or plain sliced bread. Biscuits are better. My brothers and I still make it on occasion; it is a nice late night snack. I cut back on the sugar; never use more than two Tbls to three Tablespoons of Coaco.

September 1, 2009 at 7:43 pm
  5. Lisa

Ashley, I can’t believe there is someone else who has a Muna! My maternal grandmother, who was THE best grandmother anyone could hope to have, was Muna to us. And she made the most wonderful chocolate gravy and biscuits! What a strange coincidence! She grew up in Arkansas and moved to Bruce, MS as a child. My paternal grandmother grew up in Booneville, MS (mentioned in another blogger’s posting)! Very small world isn’t it!

September 16, 2009 at 8:35 am
  6. Jan

My Mom was from a small town called Ada, in OK. She raised 9 of us on Chocolate Gravy! I have been trying to find this recipe for yrs. She passed in 2003, and never had a recipe box. Being the youngest of nine, this is a tradition I hope to continue. When no biscuits left, she would give us buttered toast to dip into our small bowls. Heaven! Thx so much for this recipe

January 1, 2010 at 5:08 pm
  7. Debbie Burton

My daddy who has passed on use to make chocolate gravy for us mostly on Sundays it was something he made for us that mom never got the hang of making. Hers never would turn out right but daddys chocolate gravy was the bomb an seeing this brought back alot of memories all good ones.

December 2, 2014 at 5:56 pm