Will Run For Food

January 7, 2009 | By | Comments (8)

Shoes_and_oranges_8Yes, I’m guilty for making an aggressive, self-improving New Years resolution. I’ll be running The Music City 1/2 Marathon in Nashville, Tennessee this April with my fitness savvy sister. I plan to tell as many people as possible so I won’t back out, begin a vigorous training program, and alter my eating habits to coincide with my latest endeavor. Get ready, set, and go!

Since I can’t run with a belly full of Krispy Kreme donuts I’ve looked into some more effective nutritional choices. I’ve constructed a starter list of five foods to work into my weekly diet and a few good recipes to go along.

1. Oranges, as we all know, are a great source of vitamin C, and they’re known to reduce muscle soreness and help the repair process.
Salmon with Orange Pan Sauce
7 Ways With Oranges
2. Almonds have great health benefits for everyone. They lower the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, heart disease, and bad cholesterol. For runners almonds can reduce achy muscles and keep you fulfilled and energized during a run.
Maple-Almond Granola
Superfood: Almonds
3. Eggs are great for bones, memory and visual health. The protein in eggs can really boost muscle recovery.
Seven Ways With Eggs
4. Salmon is a solid protein source and contains omega-3 fats that can balance the body’s inflammation response.
7 Ways With Salmon
5. Bananas are a good source of carbohydrates. This quick snack provides potassium that can prevent cramping and is an instant source of energy.
Peanut Butter-Banana Spirals

There are still many foods I’ll keep working into my daily diet, whole grains, yogurt, etc., but for now this is a good start. I have a long road to run ahead.

Do you have any go-to fitness foods or recipes that I can try?

COMMENTS

1. Ashley

Bananas are a must! Gatorade was big for me back when I ran. I don’t suggest running with a tummy full of apple juice either. Let us know your plans for the “carb-up” pre-race meal!

January 7, 2009 at 9:11 pm
  2. Jennifer

Good for you! My plan was run and eat bagels every day. When I scaled down on running, my waistline was in for some news. Sounds like you’ve got the right idea. Happy trails.

January 9, 2009 at 7:46 am
  3. Joanna

I find myself reaching for the saltier items when running long distance – usually because I end up covered in salty residue from my own sweat during training sessions! Stick to the G2, it’s just as good as regular Gatorade without the extra calories. Kudos on finding protein sources: many runners skimp on this. Don’t forget spinach for iron! Ashley made me the delicious meatless manicotti casserole from Cooking Light before Marine Corps Marathon this past October.

January 9, 2009 at 9:56 am
  4. AER

great blog- i always reach for any fruit in my kitchen, oranges, frozen grapes and bananas.

January 9, 2009 at 12:06 pm
  5. Lindsay

Congrats! I am running the full in Nashville as well. I’ve done it before and my advice to you is 1. make sure to eat lots of dark, leafy green veggies and 2. when you start your longer runs, make sure to bring along some sort of carb. I like Goo, but if you don’t like the taste, there are many more options available. Just go to your local running store and grab a few to see what suits you (and your tummy) best. Good luck and see you there!

January 14, 2009 at 8:46 am
  6. Lindsey Ford

I am also running the Music City 1/2 this is my 3rd half marathon. They are so fun! Good luck!!!

January 21, 2009 at 6:27 pm
  7. Kristin

I ran the half in Nashville back in 2007. One caveat: they load you up with food before the race. This can be a good thing, since it is lots of fresh fruit, Panera bagels (the cinnamon crunch is a personal fave, but we’ll save that for another discussion), and liquids. While the foods are healthy and will provide you with lots of energy during the race–DON’T OVERDO IT. There is nothing worse than running with too full a stomach. Also, stay away from the coffee; running makes things move inside of me enough as it is…
    Good luck!

February 12, 2009 at 8:54 am
  8. The Half Marathon Run – You've Got To Taste This | MyRecipes.com

[…] bed to do something I’ve never done before, run 13.1 miles voluntarily. My previous blog, Will Run For Food, set the stage for how I was going to achieve my aggressive New Years resolution of running in the […]

May 16, 2013 at 3:10 pm