Dixie Creek Roll-Ups

October 10, 2008 | By | Comments (7)

One of the great things about marrying into a family that hunts is the pretty much constant supply of free, nutritious meat — especially venison.  Of course, this can also present a challenge: how to use up all of the venison from last year, plus surplus from my father-in-law?  Deer season is almost upon us here in Alabama, and we still have a good stock of venison burger, sausage, and steak.  We’ve managed to use quite a bit of the burger in hamburgers, hamburger helper, spaghetti, and the like, and venison sausage is delicious on Saturday mornings.  The steaks, however, are a bit harder to get through.  Venison has so little fat in the meat that it’s a challenge not to overcook it.  I’ve tried adding using the steaks in stir-fries and slow-cooker recipes, but have never found a dish that I like more than Dixie Creek Roll-Ups, one of my husband’s specialties.

These roll-ups are similar to chicken cordon bleu, except without the chicken, ham, or swiss cheese.  (Ok, so maybe not so much like chicken cordon bleu after all.)  They’re super easy to prepare, and are simply my favorite way to cook venison:

Dixie Creek Roll-Ups:
1-2 lbs cubed venison steak (depending on how many roll-ups you want to make)
Bottle of marinade (we prefer Moore’s)
1 8oz package of pepperjack cheese
Green onion, cut into strips
1 lb bacon

1. Marinate defrosted steaks in the marinade of your choice for 1 hour. Discard marinade.
2. Place a chunk of cheese and a few strips of green onion at one of the long ends of a steak. You’ll want to be able to see the end of the cheese, but without it poking out the sides.
3. Roll up the steak, cheese, and green onion until tight.
4. Take a piece of bacon and wrap around the roll-up from end to end, covering as much of the outside of the roll-up as possible. Secure roll-up with several toothpicks.
5. Grill roll-ups until done (generally they are done when the cheese is melted).

COMMENTS

1. Karyn

These sound delicious and I can’t wait to give them a try! However are they Dixie CreeK or Dixie CreeP? LOL
    thanks for sharing the recipe!

October 13, 2008 at 8:37 am
  2. Emily Shepherd

LOL! thanks for the catch. :)

October 13, 2008 at 8:47 am
  3. Shelly

My favorite way to eat deer steak is to pound it a bit to tenderize it, then chicken fry it.
    Chicken Fried Deer Steak was a special treat when I was growing up!
    I am also a huge fan of deer roast cooked like roast beef.

October 13, 2008 at 9:49 am
  4. charlene

Em, are those the same roll-ups you brought to work once? If anyone out there is thinking about trying them, they are DELICIOUS.

October 14, 2008 at 6:40 pm
  5. Emily Shepherd

Oooh, fried deer steak is delicious too! My father-in-law makes this every once in awhile at the family hunting camp.
    And yes, Charlene, they are the same ones I brought to work! Now all you have to do is find you a hunter up there in Vancouver so you can cook up some of you own :)

October 20, 2008 at 1:24 pm
  6. Wild Wednesdays: Houston, We Have a Problem – You've Got To Taste This | MyRecipes.com

[...] night, since I had some leftover venison cubed steak from making “Dixie Creek Roll-Ups” over the weekend, I planned to cook fried deer steak.  Fried venison is a great go-to [...]

January 29, 2013 at 9:53 pm