Carnival Classics

September 22, 2008 | By | Comments (11)

Carnivalclassics Step right up and enjoy a fun-filled night of amusement rides, local entertainment, and an all-access pass to a wonderful plethora of delicious foods at the county fair. I recently visited my hometown in West Tennessee and dropped by our local fair to enjoy some of the festive treats. As this fair season comes to an end I’m trying to incorporate a few different staples into my upcoming parties that will keep the carnival spirit alive.

Meat, veggies, and even sweets on a stick are a popular choice within the carnival world. “Foods on Sticks,” as they’re fondly referred to, are easy-to-eat treats that can be enjoyed as you walk around deciding what ride you’re going to hop on next. Yummy chocolate dipped bananas, crispy chicken on a stick, the classic corn dog, and beautiful bright red candy apples are just a few mouth-watering indulgences.

The fair always has an ambiance of comfort with sounds of sizzling grills cooking succulent grilled corncobs or thick sausage links draped with onions and peppers. Although not the healthiest, food vendors have a tendency to fry everything. I always try to grab a hot peach or strawberry fried pie to munch on for dessert. Wash it all down with a tall glass of fresh-squeezed lemonade and you’ve got an evening at the fair that you can enjoy right in your own home. So even though fair season is almost over, you can still get creative with carnival-themed foods at home.

You’ve heard my top picks. What are your favorite fair-ground treats?

COMMENTS

1. Hammer

Whoever you are, I love you and your passion for putting a little junk in the trunk! Thank you for reminding me about the smells and taste of my favorite childhood memory and pushing me to make them a staple of my gatherings! You have a heart for the good stuff!

September 22, 2008 at 1:02 pm
  2. Kris

I would def have go with the smoked turkey leg! You know the one I’m talking about… the one the size of your head. Yummmm!

September 22, 2008 at 1:06 pm
  3. Penny Switzer

Don’t forget the funnel cakes!

September 23, 2008 at 8:55 am
  4. Mary Lee

The biscuits at the Mississippi State fair are the best! Great blog!

September 24, 2008 at 5:32 am
  5. AE

This makes me want to go to the fair right now and get a chocolate dipped banana! Great blog.

September 24, 2008 at 5:50 am
  6. Cheryl

I love fresh squeezed lemonade and cotton candy. Yumm!
    But…I recently discovered Fried Twinkies and have made them several times here at home. Not for the faint-hearted or calorie-conscious, but DELICIOUS!!

September 25, 2008 at 10:01 am
  7. Mary

Visiting the fair this year I had to have a spicy corn dog. Yum,yum. I was glad to see a recipe for corn dogs that I can try on my grandkids visiting soon. Thanks for reminding me of the wonderful smells and tastes of the county fair.

September 27, 2008 at 2:37 pm
  8. libby

fiddlesticks are my favorite – block of vanilla ice cream dipped in chocolate and covered in chopped peanuts

October 1, 2008 at 1:54 pm
  9. AKitz

I could almost smell the goodies! I love the huge soft pretzels.

October 2, 2008 at 12:20 pm
  10. Becky

My mouth watered reading your blog, thinking about the treats at a county fair! My favorites are the funnel cakes and lemonade.

October 2, 2008 at 6:50 pm
  11. amy

funnel cakes are my favorite fair food and what a blog – the tastes and smells of a county fair are something that everyone from the southeast hold as special memories from their hometown!!

October 6, 2008 at 6:01 am