Now n’ Laters

September 3, 2008 | By | Comments (10)

Leftovers_2
Some like it hot, some like it cold. Some like it in a pot nine days old. I am a huge fan of leftovers, and sometimes I actually prefer the day-after version. It gives your food a little extra time to soak up the delicious flavors. Plus, it’s healthier than grabbing any average, bland take-out meal. All you have to do is pop your pre-cooked cuisine in the microwave and you’re ready to go. Here are my Four Favorite Leftover Dishes you will be happy to munch on for a few extra days:

1. Spaghetti is my all-time favorite leftover meal. I had a few of my friends over last weekend and prepared an enormous Italian feast. A box of spaghetti and too much marinara extends into delicious second and third meals. I prefer mixing the noodles and savory tomato sauce together to store, because it saves room in my refrigerator.

2. Chicken Casserole is great to have around for a quick hearty dinner. Also, it’s an easy meal to make. The best part is you can cook and store it in the same dish. I find myself even nibbling on it cold. Add a few ritz crackers and you’ve got yourself a crowd-pleasing snacking dip.

3. Stir-Fried Chicken is always a friend of the refrigerator in my apartment. The sesame oil and peanuts in this dish creates a deliciously nutty nuance complemented by a Sichuan kick. Whether it’s homemade stir-fry or the leftovers from an unfinished feast at the local Chinese bistro, leftover Asian food is always tasty the second time round.

4. You can’t go wrong with the Classic Beef Pot Roast. This meal just gets better with time, and it’s a very versatile dish. I love incorporating the tender slices of beef into hearty toasted sandwiches for lunch.

What are some of your favorite leftover meals?

COMMENTS

1. Kristin H.

Can’t forget the classic leftover pizza. Sprinkle some Cholula hot sauce on top of cold pizza, and BAM! Flavor explosion in your mouth.

September 3, 2008 at 9:46 am
  2. Moon Pie

Chicken Casserole is at the top of my list for favorite leftover meals. No matter if it’s straight from the oven or even a few days old it always seems to bring me back home. Also following the holidays I love some leftover Turkey. So gooood!

September 3, 2008 at 12:29 pm
  3. Paige Throgmorton

Great article!! Love leftovers!

September 4, 2008 at 1:01 pm
  4. Ruby M

Genius! I’ve got a hankering for leftover cold spaghetti and a cold glass of milk.

September 5, 2008 at 3:03 pm
  5. Kelly

Chilli! The flavors only get better and better.
    Also, an egg bake/strata/breakfast cassarole type dealio. Perfect for breakfast and then later for dinner.

September 7, 2008 at 7:11 pm
  6. Sara

Anything braised, because it tastes even better the next day!

September 8, 2008 at 9:42 am
  7. Ryan

i like taking the toppings from my leftover pizza and making them my omelette ingredients the next morning. you can also toast the left over crust for your toast.

September 8, 2008 at 4:18 pm
  8. hammer

Meatloaf makes a great cold sandwich. Try putting a piece of cheese on it before the microwave! I really liked this blog story because this is reality…anyone can follow these instructions!

September 8, 2008 at 6:00 pm
  9. Cynthia Chappell

Chili for sure or any kind of soup. Especially Ham and Black Eyed Pea with Collard Greens Soup. See Epicurious.com for recipe. Or my mother’s Saturday afternoon Put Everyting in the Frig in the Pot soup. It’s a vegetable soup that starts with a leftover ham bone and broth. Add any vegatables you like, a couple of cans of stewed tomatoes, season to your taste with orgeano, salt and pepper. Yum!

September 9, 2008 at 10:28 am
  10. AE

Leftovers are sometimes better the 2nd go around- including Spaghetti, Pizza, and Thanksgiving dinner YUM YUM!!

September 24, 2008 at 5:54 am