Am I the Last to Discover Greek Yogurt?

Fage I’ve always loved yogurt. Add some granola, and you’ve got breakfast. Short on time? Spoon for a snack. Need to satisfy a late-night sweet tooth? Serve up vanilla. It’s versatile, creamy, cool, and healthy.

And here comes the discovery. On a trip to the Walmart Neighborhood Store, I stumbed upon Fage, a Greek yogurt. I’ve heard about Greek yogurt for years but never tried it. (As a former Cooking Light employee, I even read articles on how easy it is to make. The yogurt is strained differently to remove the whey, giving it a thicker texture and adding protein.) I grabbed a tub.

The next morning, my view on yogurt changed for life. That sounds overtly sensational, but I’m not kidding. Greek yogurt is nothing like normal yogurt. It’s rich, uber-filling, and the texture is similar to soft serve ice cream without the sweetness. Example: Ever heard calorie-cutting tips like substitute sour cream or whipping cream for plain yogurt and thought, “Sure, if you don’t care about taste.” You COULD with Greek yogurt; it’s that rich and creamy.

IMHO, anyone who hasn’t tried it should. I picked up the Oikos brand from Stonyfield and like it too. It comes in vanilla, honey, and blueberry flavors.

I found brands at Walmart and Publix, although regular stocking seems come and go. If anyone knows which stores are carrying which brands, please post. Walmart had the better pricing, which is considerably higher than normal yogurt, but well worth it. Instead of eating two servings, I eat one!

Make granola happy. Buy Greek yogurt ;)

Jennifer

See our blog on how to make Greek yogurt at home!

Other Greek yogurt recipes:

Greek-style Yogurt with Honey and Almonds

Greek Yogurt, Chocolate, Walnut, and Wild Blueberry Parfaits

Garlic and Herb Yogurt Dip

COMMENTS

1. Holley

Jennifer, I couldn’t agree with you more–Greek Yogurt makes me so happy. But Fage Total 2% with Honey makes me want to do cheerleading high-kicks. I tried this flavor for the first time in July at the Fancy Food Show and kept going back for more samples. This flavor is usually available wherever you can find Fage Total plain.
    As far as where to purchase, I’ve always bought mine (Fage Total 2% plain) at Whole Foods although I sometimes happen upon it at Publix. One thing I have noticed when trying to decide between the individual containers and the tub is that the tub is usually more expenive ounce for ounce than the individual servings. That surprised me so just make sure to check the unit price before purchasing.

August 18, 2008 at 12:40 pm
  2. Cate O’Malley

Ok, now you’ve got me curious. Although I’ve seen recipes that call for it, I didn’t think our stores carried it, so never looked too hard. Now to check our Wal-Mart the next time I go. Just what I need … something else to get hooked on! ;)

August 18, 2008 at 2:33 pm
  3. Jennifer

Do you have a Publix? They carry the Oikos brand. Really, you must try it … mainly because I want to find out if I’m the only one who thinks it’s so great.

August 18, 2008 at 2:39 pm
  4. Kimberly

I love Oikos yogurt available at Walmart and Whole Foods. I love adding honey, fruit, and shredded wheat or granola. It’s all I crave in the summer.

August 18, 2008 at 3:46 pm
  5. kristen

I too love greek yogurt and Trader Joe’s has their own 0% greek yogurt that is amazing and cheaper in price than most stores. I use it on everything from tacos, waffles with a little bit of cinnamon and honey, and falafel pitas. It’s great!

August 19, 2008 at 7:47 am
  6. Grace

Trader Joe’s Greek yogurt is great, but never thought of the various options mentioned above. Gotta go to Joe’s.

August 19, 2008 at 9:46 am
  7. Melissa

this is amazing stuff…some Giants have it and Wegmans keeps it in the natural/organic area.
    Haven’t tried the flavors yet but I’m not sure they carry the flavors. The fat free is amazing.

August 19, 2008 at 10:20 am
  8. Lyn

I agree with the comment above – go to Trader Joe’s. I have had Fage and a couple of brands that I picked up at Whole Food’s/Harry’s Farmers Market. However, I liked Trader Joe’s version better (and it seemed more affordable).

August 21, 2008 at 6:53 am
  9. ACDM

I am a loyal 0% Fage eater…. I even get made fun of each monday from my co-workers when I bring my yogurt and berries to a weekly meeting (They are just jealous) … but anyways going to check out the other brands and see hwo they compare…. but very yummy and great for any diet out there….

August 22, 2008 at 8:22 am
  10. Holly Orr

I am new to this Greek yogurt thing too thanks to “Cooking Light”. I looked at my local supermarket but could not find any. I will check Walmart tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

August 23, 2008 at 6:58 pm
  11. A in Oak Park

It’s Trader Joe’s for me here outside of LA. When I was in Greece, they served it in a little mound with honey drizzled over it and chopped walnuts sprinkled on top. I go for the fat free, use sweetener instead of honey most times and enjoy a homey little treat; creamy sweetness and nutty crunch. I did try the Trader Joe’s brand and it was good, but I started with the Fage brand.

August 25, 2008 at 8:47 pm
  12. joanne

you can make your own greek yogurt, my hubby does all the time, just purchase regular, plain, low fat yogurt at any store, and poke holes in bottom of the container and put into something where all excess fluids can drain into, and it is the exact same thing as buying the greek stuff, but much cheaper.

September 23, 2008 at 10:31 am
  13. Suzanne

I love Fage the best but often buy Chobani as it appears to be much cheaper than Fage. Both are regularly availabe at Stop&Shop stores.

December 14, 2008 at 7:22 am
  14. Laura

Does anyone know how to make the cucumber sauce that is served with gyros in Greek restaurants? Does that contain Greek yogurt????

December 15, 2008 at 2:37 pm
  15. Stephanie

Here is greek yogurt recipe that you might like to try.
    Greek Yogurt (Yiaourti)
    From Traditional Greek Cooking (Canada, UK), by George Moudiotis.
    Bring 1 litre (2-1/4 pints) of whole full-fat milk to just under boiling point and then pour the milk into a glass or earthenware dish. Let the milk cool to about 42°C/104°F. Mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of commercial plain yogurt or from a previous home-made yohurt (at room temperature) with a few tablespoons of milk, and pour into the milk carefully without disturbing the skin that may have formed on the surface of the milk. Cover with a cloth, place in a warm, draft-free place for 8 to 12 hours or overnight, and do not disturb it until the yogurt thickens. Drain any excess liquid and store in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
    To make a “thick” yoghurt, remove the skin on the surface of the yoghurt just made and pour the yoghurt into a muslin bag. Hang the bag over a bowl and let drain for about 2 hours or until the desired thickness is obtained.

December 29, 2008 at 10:50 am
  16. Betty

I want to try my hand at making my own Greek Yogurt….I eat it frequently and it is costly!
    Question: Can I be successful at making a low-fat version. I’ve picked up the recipes for Greek Yogurt on this site, but none of them mention using fat free milk. Thanks!

January 27, 2009 at 2:37 pm
  17. Jennifer

Hi,
    Southern Living offers a tip on making greek yogurt from traditional yogurt. (I’m guessing you could just use a low-fat version. Here’s the video on how to make greek yogurt:

Hope it helps.